Friday, October 15, 2010

Keepin' the ball rolling in the right direction

<-$1460>
Tonight was interesting, a little drama culminating in a good night. I chose to check out a new location on opening day. New location, same ol' faces. The blinds were a little higher than the usual 1/2 games. It was a $2/$3 game, never had played one like that before. I could tell early on that it would end up being quite a big game. I bought in for 200, some people were already at 500. As it often happens to me in new locations, it takes me a while to get settled in. The first buy in came and went. I finally relaxed and just waited for a hand. 
My opportunity came when I looked down at pocket 9's to a $15 raise. Three people in the hand, and the flop came 8 K 9 rainbow. First to act bet $100. It sort of surprised me, I decided he was trying to take down the pot then and there. The bill got called and I moved in the rest of my chips, 80$ on top of the stick & said "you got caught, huh?". The initial bettor reluctantly and slowly called the 80 and the first caller mucked AK face up. I show mid set and AK asked to see my caller's hand; a measly KJ for the loss. Finally sitting on a healthy stack amongst crazy players.
I sat on it and called suited connectors and pocket pairs but got nowhere. I finally looked down at pocket 8's and once again the raise was about 12 or 15 preflop. I called along with 4 others. The flop came 8d 10d 3s. SB bet out 60. Fold and one quick call before it got to me. I momentarily tanked then pushed out two $150 stacks. One fold and the original bettor went all in for 16 more. First caller also pushed all his chips but he only had about 80 on top of the initial 60. All the side pots got figured out and all I remember is that no flush or straight came. I was up against an over pair, KK and an open ended straight flush draw J 9 d... pretty sick. I took it down. My stack was at this time my peak in the night.
Not much more happened in the next hours. I flopped a straight one time and made back some money I lost in blinds and preflop calls. One time I got AK and got called down after I bet every street by A6 and he rivered 2pair with a 6 on the river. I got my $ back from this chaser with a King high flush to put me back at my peak right before I called it a night.
Good location, good people & finally a nice positive night.
<-$985>

No comments:

Post a Comment