Sunday, October 10, 2010

Wouldn't you take free money?

<-$2310>
I've been somewhat sticking to my guns about not playing. I had quite a few chips gathered for the weekly (Friday) and the monthly (Saturday) freerolls, so I decided to go play them... its free money!
On Friday we had two tables, I placed 5th. Became a short stack and had to shove with a less than ideal hand - which was a head of the two opponents who called me. Until the river that is; a gut-shot sraight was hit to knock me out. I made 75$ (-10 dealer toke).
On Saturday we had a huge turnout. The room fits 4 tables, all 4 were full plus we had alternates. I would say we had 45 people turn out for the $6500 monthly freeroll. They opened the doors at 11am for the 3pm freeroll so people could show up and make an additional 500 chips per hour of play until the tourney. I played...and dumped $160 for 2500 additional chips. I bought in for 120 and lost this stack on pocket tens which ran into pocket 9's flopping quads. I bought back in for 100 and just sat around and didnt do anything; cashed out 65 pre-tourney.
I was 3rd in chips to begin the tourney with about 12,000. I made a deal with a friend of mine that we would give each other 25% of our winnings if we placed, his stack wasn't much smaller than mine.
I had the chance to take out two people on the first hand of the tourney but it was a big chunk of my stack and I did not want to make the wrong decision so early on. I had A10 & raised to 325 preflop, 2 callers. Flop is 10 9 4, I flopped top-top. Checked to me, I bet 625. The button goes all in for a little over 4,000 and got 1 caller before it comes back to me. There is a flush draw out there and I decide to fold thinking the flush will get there. One shows AQ nut flush draw, other shows J10. Nothing changes, J10 takes it down.
I settled down and took the blinds here and there. With 15 minute blinds they were going up quite fast. After the first break I had the same stack as when the tourney started, with the field down to 3 tables.
Soon after we came back from break I took down a couple pots with pocket aces preflop with small raises. A couple hands later I looked down at another pocket pair. Blinds were now 1000/2000 100ante. Under the gun smooth called and it got folded around to me where I made it 7,000 to go. SB & BB fold and the caller went all in. She had me covered by maybe over a grand. I called and I was very glad for it to be a coinflip with her flipping over AK off vs my pocket Jacks. What seemed like forever later I drag a huge pot, shooting me up to 2nd top stack in the tourney. Right before the 2nd break I look down at Aces again. Same blinds and antes - my friend min-raises to 4000, I make it 10,000 and everyone folds. 
A few hands after the break we finally combine to the final table. The final table brings a huge stack, maybe even 2:1 to me. The blinds went up to 3000/6000 and I raise to 13,300 with A10 suited; everyone folded and I took down the blinds and antes. I didn't play a single hand the rest of the way. There was plenty of chop-talk from the moment we started the final table but the big stack would have nothing of it. He proceeded to take out 7 people, mostly on suckouts but I didn't care. We finally reached a compromise with 3 left. He had me and the 3rd person outchipped by 7:1 now...we decided to give him 1st place money, $1,500, whereas me and the 3rd person took $1,100 each. Not bad for free money. 
My pre-tournament deal lost me $160 in the end. My partner got busted out in 6th place, making $450. His hand was sick; he had aces vs jacks vs the top stack's A2. The flop gave the top stack a gut shot with 5 4 4. Turn 2, river 2 for a boat. The positive was he took out two people in one hand, heh.
450/4(25%)=112.5
1100/4(25%)=275
275-112= rounded down to 160
Later on in the night I drove a friend back to play a little while & I lost a short stack buyin with a couple flopped sets vs rivered flushes. Still a positive day all in all.
<-$1690>

No comments:

Post a Comment