Tuesday, October 19, 2010

P stands for: pocket, pair, & patience

<-$1425>
This night I was delayed by previous obligations, so I arrived to the game late. The game seemed to be winding down already but we drew it out for a few hours. It is weird because I don't remember many of the hands that built my stack. It was several little pots here and there that I dragged which put me over the hump.
I remember having several pocket pairs. On one instance I raised preflop and flopped quads - higher than the current high hand so the high hand would be mine after this one was over, or would it? I checked the flop, - checked around. I choose to bet the turn then remember that the high hand must go to show down. One fold (oh crap...), then I hear raise. PHEW! I call, check the river - checked back; showdown. I would end up winning high hand with quad 9's.
Two other instances with pocket pairs were: I flopped a set and turned a boat but checked the river which was checked back to me as my trap didnt work; small pot won. The other instance I had pocket 8's and it was raised to 20 preflop with 3 players already in. I considered a fold but why I do not know. I called and the flop was all lower than an 8. It got checked around and I bet 40. Fold, fold, all in for 15 on top. Argh, I called. The turn was blank, river 6. I flipped my 8's, he flipped his 6's. Sigh.
Nearning the end I once again got a pocket pair. The flop was 10 high but I bet at it; two callers. The turn which was a blank got checked around. The river hit my set but it also hit alot of straight possibilities. Check, I checked and 20 is bet. Fold and I raised to 50, followed by a call. My opponent rivered two pair with the case nine on the river which made my set of nines. Nice pot.
The very next hand I looked down at AQ suited. The same opponent that just had the two pair shoved for 65 or thereabouts. It got back to me with no callers so I decided to call, hoping I was at least ahead or in a race. 

The flop was 9 10 J with 10 J of spades for a gut shot straight flush draw. The king came on the turn to give me broadway and the river was irrelevant as she mucked. She got busted and the game broke.
I managed to make a decent profit in the last couple of hands after the set of sixes on the river over my pocket 8's demoralized me a bit. In addition I was awarded the high hand bonus for the night for an additional $115.
<-$1050>

No comments:

Post a Comment