Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happiness isn't everything

<-$1640>
Just when I thought my 'luck' had turned and I played well, I meet a rude awakening.
After an unsuccessful game at my house due to lack of participation, a couple friends & I head over to play elsewhere. I decide to change it up a tad and be more selective about the hands I play. Unfortunately, since the huge hand of the night is still on my mind, I lack recollection of how I got the decent sized stack I was sitting on. Its quite a big game with rarely a pot less than 50 preflop. Most stacks are over a grand with me just below by about a hundred. I look down at Kings and raise 20 pre, four callers and a spade flop hits the board; Q 4 5. I bet out 50 and get just one caller this time. The turn is a ten of clubs. I bet 100, call. River is another queen. I have been playing so few hands that my image is extremely tight. I am representing a boat...just about every other person at the table said they would not have been able to call. I bet 100, he makes it 200. I have about 350 left and I instantly ship it. After a few moments of insecurity and moving his chips back and forth as if to get a reaction, he makes a 'fuck it' call. He has the queen... chased me down. There are so many possibilities out there...yet I still cannot get a fold. I had him covered by 55.
I proceed to quadruple the 55 in the next two hands by doubling up twice, however; the game is too big and I'm soon back to 60 by calling a couple times with nice looking suited face cards and seeing all low flops. I am tired and still steaming about the big pot, I ship with A5 diamonds, call by AQ off. Ace high with a Queen kicker takes it down. I'm very happy with the way I played, I played right and made the right moves for the most part. Me being happy with my play didn't make me money in the end, so it was all for not.
<-$1810>

4 comments:

  1. This makes me very sad and is why, in many ways, I prefer tournaments. I find there are less "Oh fuck it, I'll call" moves and less people playing 10 2.

    Hang in there, see you Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx and I tend to agree with you, but in most situations i want that call...that's what makes money in the end. This guy plays tight and then makes very weird moves at very weird times with not a very strong hand... suckouts happen but I told him to keep playing like that - next time all his $ will be mine.
    See ya sat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise KK pf to $20. Flop comes Q45. You bet 50. Turn comes 10. You bet 100. River comes Q. You bet 100.

    This is a problem you're consistently having. WHAT ARE YOU PUTTING YOUR OPPONENTS ON? You say you're representing a boat -- how does that make sense? Your villain had a Q, so are you saying they should put you on Q10? Q4? Q5? 44? 55? 1010? That's great and all, but if you think about it it doesn't make sense. You bet 50 on the flop, okay, that can either go cbet or you hit a card. Flop was Q45 though, so at that point you're going w/ cbet in your "I repped a boat" rant. Are you raising 20 pf w/ 44? 55? Obviously he's not going to put you on QQ assuming decks are correct. Not at any point in your writings have I seen what you think they have. Only what you have and the action you take. What you have matters little, as can be seen by the red -1800. You're not making sense when you're building your hands. I just don't know why they should think you had a boat there. You can easily have some smaller pair that didn't hit the board. Did they get lucky? Absolutely. That's not the point, however. You feel you're representing something but when I read the hand I don't see how you feel that's what you're making it look like. Do you mean your betting patterns? Because you increase your bet on each street and then value bet the river you're suppose to be put on a boat? From playing with you I don't think you're raising 44 or 55 enough to put you there. It looked like a pocket pair, it was a pocket pair, and it lost as a pocket pair. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try and write my opinion more as to what I put my opponents on. I have done it in a few posts as I recall. I am right most of the time at the table... in my own mind. Its not just me saying "i should have been put on a boat". I was representing it although it turned into a semi-bluff when the queen hit. I was told by, funnily enough, everyone at the table that they would not have called because they put me on a boat. Maybe he was too invested and he hit his Q on top of that, can't tell.

    ReplyDelete