Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Walkin' on holy water

<-$1840>
Finally some okay news to report. No big whoop I suppose, perhaps I can build momentum from it.
The night started out with me and a couple friends going to a 'bar game' in dallas. Small stakes 25c/50c ...what can you really do there except be miserable?... you can lose! duh, of course! In for 60$ and down to 15$ I let my buddy play my stack and he played really well and built it back up, then I urged him to go all in with my $ when he got pocket 6's. He ran into 8s and 10s also in the hole of other players. Boohoo.
Against my conscience's advice we went to the regular $1/$2 spot where I found a full table so I had to wait. I finally got a seat and I bought in for 160.
I proceeded to lose a big chunk with AK suited soon after sitting. I raised a straddled pot to 25 and got two callers. Two decently loose players that are in alot of pots. Flop came K 10 4 with two clubs. I bet out 50 thinking I'm good. I get called by both and pray for no club. The turn is another 10 and a club. I check (giving up?), followed by a $100 bet to which we both fold. He shows a ten for trips, sigh. 
Now down to 75$ish I'm just laying back and folding. I get pocket queens in the sb. It goes around and someone raises to 10, one caller then me. I go all in over the top for $71 total. The guy to my left instantly ships his stack which is about 220 to which a couple limpers fold. Then a hesitation from the original raiser and the statement, "oh gosh am i going to get sucked out on again??" ...followed by a reluctant call/all in for about 220-250. Next guy also calls and has exactly the same amount as I do, $71. He has 7/6 off and called due to good odds... The initial raiser/hesitant one has Aces... how do you hesitate preflop with that? Insta-shipper has nines. Flop is jack high and the turn is one of the two miraculous queens. I win the main pot, I'm still in, wow.
I sit on the near 300 that I win in that pot for a while, drag some small pots here and there in a pretty standard 1/2 game. No crazy stuff tonight. We had just lost two people and were 5 handed. I was in a conversation with the guy to my right and casually look down on pocket fours. I limp into the straddled pot and we see a cheap flop. A 9 4 two dimes. UTG bets 15 and I call while still talking. This bet gets raised to 40 and the original bettor folds reluctantly. I announce raise and put 60 on top, making it an even stick. She instantly goes all in and before I have time to hear her I say call. I feel I'm way ahead, 'till I see the pocket nines she flips over. I'm cursing inside and out loud and walk away from the table and back to my chair just in time to see THE CASE 4 peel off as the river. Quads. Sick river...ship it. What makes this story is a little additional fact, however. The initial bettor folded pocket queens due to the ace on the flop and being raised... a queen came on the turn. 99 vs 44 vs QQ flop A94 turn Q river 4. Unreal.
I'm now sitting on 560 and my money starts going down. Its shorthanded, blinds are coming around faster and the game turns into a 1/2/5 with a straddle almost every hand. I get back down to 350 after getting rivered 3 hands in a row, I was mad. Finally one player leaves, another gets busted (KQ vs 44, flop 4KQ, blank turn river Q) lol, and we're down to 3 handed. One choses to cash out soon after and the remaining gent and I decide to play heads up. I'm now down to 210ish. We play 1/2 for a while then deem it pointless and turn it into 5/10. I'm very proud of myself for keeping up with this guy who I've come to respect alot and is a great player. We go back and forth without much aggression. The big hand for me was a flopped nut flush where i got paid off well. I cashed out 400 even. Lots of entertainment and adrenaline was provided tonight... but without the two "suckouts" I had, I would have lost like I have been. Has my luck changed? 
<-$1640>

No comments:

Post a Comment